Tuesday 6 November 2007

Free will

I had a discussion with a fellow psychology student, who told me that it would soon be possible to test the hypothesis of free will, by looking directly at neurons.

Earlier that evening, she had asked me if I had any room for the concept of free will, in my emerging new view of the world.

I’m not quite sure what to answer, because I don’t really understand the concept. What is free will free from, seeing as freedom is always in relation to something? And it can’t be totally free anyway, can it? There will always be some choices we can’t make, because the actions would be impossible. (Of course, we could wish to do them.) There will be just as many choices we can’t make, because we never think of them as alternatives.

But what is will, has it got to do with choosing at all? What is the philosophical definition of free will? Not to mention the scientific – operational – definition. What observation could we make that would either demonstrate that the will is free – or falsify it? I need to know this to think further about the issues, and would be happy for some help.

(Norwegian version here.)

No comments: